Every year of my twenties so far has felt like a life time: an individual universe of life lessons, future defining decisions and self-contemplation. There’s been a lot of fun parts and a lot of intense parts but the takeaway is that man, being in my twenties is exhausting.
Our twenties is when most of us make the major life decisions that are going to affect the rest of our years: what kind of person will you be? What will you do for work? Will you get married, and to who? There’s a lot of pressure to choose wisely, to choose as if our lives depended on it. And that is a bitch, because there is just no way to know if you are making the right choice until maybe even years later.
In a way, this is what makes leading a typical, traditional lifestyle so appealing. There is a certain comfort in following the status quo: so many people can’t all be wrong, right? If you do what everybody else is doing your life might not be very spontaneous, but at least you’ll feel secure. You’ll know what comes next because it’s all been done before, a million time, by everyone else.
For some people though, the typical American lifestyle just doesn’t cut it. They want something else, something different, and that in itself is pretty scary. Breaking away from what’s normal can be absolutely terrifying (and exciting) because there is just no way of knowing how it will pay off. It’s higher risk, and hopefully higher reward.”
Making a list of the 24 things I’d like to accomplish this upcoming year seems like an appropriate thing to do for someone who is constantly talking about living the good life everyday. So, here goes…:
1. Write eBook on living a purpose and passion filled life.
2. Save up for my next trip to Italy. Summer 2014.
3. Become Yelp elite…!
4. Eat out at enough places to become qualified as Yelp elite
5. Get better acquainted with digital media/marketing/communications. Period.
6. Stick to daily yoga routine
7. Move into my own condo. Perhaps with a roomie?
8. NYE in NYC. Make it happen.
9. Go to a music, yoga, or art festival. Or a hybrid of all three
10. Be fearless. Always
11. Get iPad. Seriously
12. Make DIY gifts for Christmas from Pinterest. Lol
13. Walk more
14. Live a more curated life
15. Write letters of gratitude
16. Take things slowly
18. Skydive. Just do it.
19. Find more uses for greek yogurt
20. Reconnect with the things that excite me
21. Dance classes
22. Read more
23. Do things that make me feel afraid
24. Do things that make me feel alive