1. Past mistakes don’t determine who you are. Don’t let yesterday’s shortcomings prevent you from doing something great today. Learn from your mistakes and grow from them.
2. You are not your father, mother, brother, or sister. That’s not an insult to them, but if no one else in your family went to college, that doesn’t mean you won’t be the first. You define your own path.
3. There are times in your life when you have difficult choices to make. Guess what? You’re going to make the wrong choice sometimes. Learn from it, but don’t hold it over your own head. You can’t change it and dwelling on it will only prevent you from making better choices in the future.
4. Everybody fails. It’s not just you and you’re not the first one to be in this situation. Take comfort in knowing that you’re not alone.
5. You are good enough. It doesn’t matter what labels have been put on you or what limitations you’ve been told you have. There is no one that can determine your value, except you.
6. Don’t waste all of your time and energy trying to win the love or approval of someone that doesn’t want you to have it. You’re better than being someone’s second choice.
7. It’s ok to ask for help or advice.
8. If you ask someone for advice, listen to it. Don’t just look for someone to agree with you.
9. You’re not going to change everything overnight. Celebrate small accomplishments and realize that each one is a step towards your dreams.
10. Just because a dream is bigger than you doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Stop sitting around thinking about it and start figuring out how to accomplish it.